Please read through the entire policy. Failure to comply may result in removal from Nekocon without refund. Thank you for your cooperation. The staff at Nekocon recognizes that the majority of people attending anime conventions, and Nekocon in particular, are just looking to have a good time, and show off their hard work on costumes and their love for their favorite characters. That being said, we have a policy in place to ensure that everyone entering our convention can remain safe as well have a great time.
All attendees with props are subject to being peace bound by Nekocon Con Safety Staff. A member of staff will review the rules with you briefly and put a zip tie on your badge. Failure to abide by the rules by either bringing in a forbidden item listed below or doing a forbidden action (ie. swinging a prop at another attendee) after being peace bound may result in removal from the convention without refund. Certain objects will need to be peace bound in addition to the general peace bond on your badge.
1. METAL OBJECTS: No live steel (sheathed or unsheathed) will be allowed on the property. Live steel includes, but is not limited to, swords, daggers, knives, bayonets, or other metal objects sharpened to an edge or capable of taking an edge. Please note Virginia Code article §18.2308 in regards to your inability to carry these and other weapons concealed anywhere in this state.
Metal items that are not designed to be sharpened or resemble any of the above items may be allowed, but will be checked by AMS Staff to verify the item is allowed in the convention. Any metal item allowed as a prop that can be swung around must be peace bound to prove a willing compliance with our weapons policy and to prove that our staff inspected the weapon in addition to any other standard of peace bonding the convention uses.
All questionable items will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
2. GUNS:There will be no gassed, charged, or loaded guns of any kind. No active pellet, water, or air guns will be permitted. No unloaded real firearms or high quality replicas of said items will be permitted, except for proven inert airsoft guns.
Plastic models which can easily be identified as fake or a child’s toy will be allowed. All guns must be checked by AMS Staff and peace bound to prove a willing compliance with our weapons policy and to prove that our staff inspected the weapon in addition to any other standard of peace bonding the convention uses.
All questionable items will be decided on a case by case basis.
3. Any object over 8 feet in length or weighing 60 pounds or more is considered an obstruction, and may even be considered a weapon by size alone, even if it does not meet other qualifications. If any item approaches the ends of either of these limitations, please expect and ensure regular communication with the staff at the convention, and warn the staff of the presence of this item prior to the convention in person and/or via the contact form on the web site.
4. Wooden weapons that are allowed include, but are not limited to staffs, walking sticks, bokken, and other wooden swords. All such items must be kept with their tips towards the ground, they may not present a danger at any time to those around you, and they must clearly show their peace bonding to prove a willing compliance with our weapons policy and to prove that our staff inspected the weapon. The only exception to way weapons can be held is during static, non-moving photo opportunities, taken in designated photo areas, or well away from foot traffic.
5. Fake or made-up weaponry, such as that made from tissue paper, plaster of Paris, cloth, foam, or other soft materials are all welcomed if they are safe and not dangerous to others. To ensure the safety of other guests, please also keep these weapons with their tips towards the ground. The only exception to how these weapons can be held is during static, non-moving photo opportunities, taken in designated photo areas, or well away from foot traffic.
6. Weapons that are not permitted by our weapons policy can be purchased at the convention center in our Dealer’s Room. Any weapon that is forbidden by this policy must be taken to your hotel room, vehicle, or other storage arrangement as soon as you are finished shopping in the Dealer’s Room. You may only carry the forbidden weapon between the Dealer’s Room and your storage arrangement. No other travel is authorized in the convention space. The weapon must be carried in the same packaging that it was sold with by the dealer.
7. To purchase any weapons from our qualified dealers, either bladed or air soft, you must be at least 18 years of age and present proof of age such as a driver’s license or other valid photographic ID as required by the dealer at the time of sale. Purchasing an item for an underage individual can result in being removed from the convention, and possible legal ramifications.
8. Please note that the Nekocon Weapons policy is subject to change before, during, or after the convention, and changes may be made with or without advance written notification. All decisions pertaining to the Nekocon Weapons Policy made by staff are final. All updates will be provided as soon as possible and posted clearly, but any changes determined necessary by staff will be immediate and binding to the current convention period.
9. Prior to the convention, if you have any questions regarding the weapons policy you may contact AMS using the Contact Us link under the Business tab above. If you have a question about the policy while at the convention, please request to speak to the Con Safety Department Head in Convention Operations.