- NekoCon Entrance Policy: NekoCon has rented out the entire convention center. For security purposes we will be doing badge checks at the entrances and therefore you will need a badge to enter the building. To pick up your badge you MUST enter the building at the southeast (where Hall C is located) next to the parking lot. Once you have a badge you may enter from either end of the building (the Hall C entrance or the entrances closest to the Embassy); all front facing doors will be exit only except for those with accessibility needs. Please plan accordingly. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy please email us at email@example.com.Nekocon Staff will make accommodations for the physically disabled to use the most convenient door.If you have any questions regarding NekoCon policies or feel the need to report something or someone, seek out your nearest Staff Member, whom can be identified by their vertically aligned STAFF Badge. They will assist you with getting to Con Safety Staff.
- Membership badges must be worn conspicuously at all times within the convention center. If your badge is ever covered, reversed, not worn, or carried inside of a pocket or bag, staff may request that you present it and wear it in a more visible manner or leave the building. Keep this in mind while wearing cosplay outfits. If your membership badge is lost or stolen, you can check to see if it was turned in at Registration. If you remain unable to locate your membership badge, you must purchase another at full price to remain in convention space.
- Membership badges are the property of Event Support Solutions, Inc. Even after purchase they are merely a symbol owned by said company to signify that they have allowed you to remain on convention space, and must be surrendered at the request of any senior staff member. Failure to follow any of NekoCon’s rules may be grounds for being ejected from the convention without refund.
- NekoCon takes harassment very seriously. We acknowledge that harassment comes in many shapes and forms, and NekoCon Staff treats all harassment complaints with the same high level of urgency. We ask all attendees, guests, staff, and vendors to remember the following:A- No Means No.
B- Cosplay Is Not Consent. You should always ask a cosplayer for a picture. It’s just polite, and literally takes seconds. You should never place your hands on anyone at NekoCon that you do not have explicit consent from. This can make anyone uncomfortable; and ruin their entire experience. No one wants to be the cause of that.
C- Everyone has different comfort zones. Please respect that, and always act on the side of caution.
D- If you feel like you need to talk to someone, seek out any staff member. Look for the people with the vertical aligned badges. If you feel a staff member or a volunteer has been inappropriate, ask to speak to the Division Head of Logistics, or their designee. Convention Safety Staff will assist you with contacting them.
E- If you see something, say something to staff. We are here to help, and we want everyone who enter our convention to feel welcome and safe.
- Except for designated areas, smoking/vaping/e-cigarettes are prohibited in the convention center and hotels.
No animals are permitted inside NekoCon convention space except SERVICE animals as defined by the ADA and Virginia law (51.5-44). Emotional Support animals and Therapy animals are not permitted in convention space. Animals for the purpose of cosplay are not permitted in convention space. If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or review what qualifies as a Service animal on the ADA website. (https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html)
If you require any assistance or have accessibility needs during the convention seek your nearest staffer and they will be able to assist you.
- Anyone caught stealing or shoplifting in any part of the convention space will be ejected from the convention space, remanded to local authorities, and banned from future NekoCon conventions and any Event Support Solutions, Inc. sponsored events. We also reserve the right to share your name with other conventions in an informal warning system, and the victim(s) of the crime will have the opportunity to prosecute offenders.
- Cameras, backpacks, oversized coats, large bags, or packages are not allowed in the NekoCon Dance. The Exhibitors Hall policies are covered in a separate section. There is no bag check at these areas and we ask that you do not drop your bags off in front of these events. You are strongly encouraged to leave these in a secure location, such as your hotel room or your vehicle.
- Event Support Solutions, Inc., the NekoCon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center, and each group’s staff and volunteers will not be held liable for lost or stolen belongings. If any item is lost, please check with NekoCon staff for the NekoCon Lost and Found, and/or the Convention Center’s Lost and Found. Anything left in the hallways will be treated as Lost and Found or trash as the staff deems necessary to keep the convention center clean. Cleaning staff will do the same as they see fit, often with their own separate Lost and Found. At no time will any staff member be held responsible for any abandoned items, even if they interacted with said item after abandonment. Please keep personal items on your person or inside your hotel room or car for safe keeping.
- Attendees will refrain from wearing signs that offer paid or free services in public. No flyers will be permitted that offer other forms of paid or free non-approved solicitation. (For example: Glomp Me, Hugs For a $1, Back Rubs for Free, Follow me for Glow Sticks).
- You must be 21 years of age to have, purchase, drink, or transport alcohol under most circumstances. Please note Virginia Code article § 4.1-304-5 in regards to the legal drinking age in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Private parties off of the convention space are the responsibility of the individuals throwing the party. Do not carry any open alcoholic beverages around the convention area. Virginia Code § 18.2-388 prohibits public intoxication or public profane swearing. Please remain within the confines of your home or hotel room if intoxicated. Please keep noise levels to a minimum to avoid disorderly conduct under Virginia Code article § 18.2-415 and other Hampton city laws governing noises which disturb public peace. If NekoCon staff deems that you are too intoxicated to be in the convention center, you will be asked to leave of your own accord. Further action will involve the Hampton Roads Police Department.
- No attendee shall be allowed to solicit, free or for any amount of money, any product or service from a hotel room associated with the NekoCon convention.
- Do not damage the Hampton Roads Convention Center or associated hotels, interiors, exteriors, or private property in any way. Signs or flyers may not be hung on any wall within the Convention Center or associated hotel without explicit permission from building staff. There will be a message/flyer posting area provided for such materials to be posted.
- The convention center prohibits the sale, distribution, and entrance of outside food or beverages within the building.
- NekoCon will not tolerate fighting of any scale, swearing, or any other activities which could be deemed not family friendly or illegal. Any such behavior will be judged on a case- by-case basis and may result in ejection from the convention center and contact with local authorities.
- NekoCon will not tolerate the use of any illegal drugs or drug related paraphernalia within the convention space. Any reports of drug use will be turned over to local law enforcement.
- There will be no sleeping permitted in the Hampton Roads Convention Center. Most hotels have similar rules related to their lobby and public spaces. Anyone found sleeping outside of these spaces on private or public land may be asked to move at any time and/or ejected from private land.
- There are no cameras allowed in the Art Show, and there is no photography allowed in the Art Show or Exhibitors Hall. If for any reason an Event in Main Events prohibits the use of cameras, NekoCon Staff will attempt to put notice out in a timely manner.
- When taking pictures please be respectful of those around you. Do not block any attendee passage of travel or obstruct any public area – this includes the stairs, escalators, or areas at the top and bottom of the stairs and escalators. For large groups or those wanting their photo taken away from the general throng, there will be a photo booth and Group Photoshoot Area in the Bazaar (Hall B).
- All local, state, and federal laws are in affect and are enforced at all times. Local authorities will be either present or nearby to assist in enforcing these laws for the entirety of the convention period. This will also include any 18+ panel or video room.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and provide valid proof of age (i.e. Driver’s License) to VIEW or PURCHASE adult materials in any location on convention space. This includes, but is not limited to, hentai anime, DVDs, manga, doujinshi, periodicals, and live films.
- The NekoCon and Convention Center Staff both reserve the right to deny entry to the NekoCon convention space at any time, for any reason, without having to provide said reason. Disputes with Staff over this or any other rule can be taken up with the Head of that Staff member’s department or the NekoCon Convention Chairman, in that order. Convention Center Staff can only direct complaints to NekoCon Staff on your behalf, and should be allowed to run the Convention Center itself.
- Please note that the NekoCon General rules are subject to change before, during, or after the convention, and changes may be made with or without advance notice or written notification. All updates will be provided as soon as possible and posted clearly, but any immediate changes implemented by senior staff will be immediate and binding to the current convention period.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Invisi-shoes are allowed but you may be stopped by numerous NekoCon staffer so they can make sure you are not barefooted.
- We know that there are some risqué costumes out there. Please see our Costume and Weapons policies for detailed guidelines.
- Roller Skates and Roller Blades may not be worn inside the convention center. In addition stilts may only be worn on the first floor unless Event Support Solutions, Inc., the NekoCon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers deems that you pose a danger to yourself or other convention attendees.
- The decisions of the Convention Chair / Vice-Chairs are absolutely final.