AMS stands for Attendee Management Services. If you have any questions regarding Nekocon policies or feel the need to report something or someone, seek out your nearest AMS staffer, whom can be identified by their AMS staff shirt. The staff at Nekocon recognizes that the majority of people attending anime conventions, and Nekocon in particular, are just looking to have a good time, and show off their hard work on costumes and their love for their favorite characters. That being said, we have a policy in place to ensure that everyone entering our convention can remain safe as well have a great time.
All attendees with props are subject to being peace bound by Nekocon Attendee Management Services (AMS) Staff. A member of staff will review the rules with you briefly and put a zip tie on your badge. Failure to abide by the rules by either bringing in a forbidden item listed below or doing a forbidden action (i.e., swinging a prop at another attendee) after being peace bound may result in removal from the convention without refund. Certain objects will need to be peace bound in addition to the general peace bond on your badge.
The lack of a costume is not a costume
(Ex. Only wearing a nude body suit). Similarly only wearing a towel wrapped around you or only wearing under garments is also not a costume. We have no problem with risqué costumes however please keep the following in mind when planning, designing and constructing your costumes:
- A. You are required to wear a nude body suit under your costume if your costume would be rated above a PG-13 rating. If you are not sure, bring one anyway you can always consult the Help Desk if you have any questions.
- B. There are kids and other small children in attendance.
- C. Whether intentional or unintentional anything that gets displayed will probably be recorded and displayed on the internet.
- D. Consequentially intentional flashing of any kind (Even if you are wearing a full flesh colored body suite) can result in immediate removal from the convention and the Hampton Roads Convention Center Property.
- E. The convention floor and public areas are not changing rooms, do not remove your clothing or change costumes in open space, there are bathrooms located in the convention center if you do not have a room to change in.
- F. Remember that NekoCon is in November. As such it is entirely possible that we will have cold weather during our event. ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers deems that your costume is unsafe for the weather conditions we may ask that you change into more appropriate clothing.
- G: If the structural engineering of your costume is not enough to keep the “girls” or “boys” firmly in place we may ask you to change into a different costume. Remember its okay to use flesh colored tops and bottoms in the construction of your costume. The chest area must not be unreasonably exposed. Nipples must be covered at all times – this applies to both genders.
- H.Gentlemen (And Ladies), if you are going to wear a skin tight outfit we highly recommend that you wear a cup or some other type of supportive device. If we can clearly identify the “boys”, ‘girls”, or other naughty bits we will ask you to change your costume.
- I. Roller Skates, Roller Blades and Heely Shoes may not be worn on convention center property.
- J. Stilts may only be worn on the convention center first floor and outdoors unless ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers deems that you pose a danger to yourself or other convention attendees.
- K. Body paint and dried liquids (such as fake blood) are allowed as part of your costume but must be properly sealed so it does not rub off, to prevent damage of the convention space and/or the costumes or clothing of other attendees. If we see you are making a mess you will be asked to leave.
Mask may be worn by attendees with the following exceptions
- A: Masks may not impair your vision. ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers may ask to inspect your mask to verify that it does not impair your vision. If ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers determines that your mask impairs your vision you will not be allowed to continue wearing your mask. If you continue to wear your mask after this determination has been made it may result in ejection from the convention. An exception is made if you wish to carry around your mask and put in on and off to pose for pictures.
- B. If at any time for any reason any member of ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers ask you to remove your mask you must do so immediately. Failure to do so will result in ejection from the convention.
The following Events/Locations may require that masks be removed:
- Exhibitors Hall
- Both the Friday and Saturday Night Dances
- Any Concerts
Props may be carried with the following exceptions
- A: All Props must conform to the weapons policy
- B: Large Props are not allowed in all areas of the convention (Ex. Exhibitors Hall and Main Events). Please make arrangements to store any large props in either your Hotel Room (Or a Friends Hotel Room), Vehicle, or Other Storage Arrangement before entering these areas.
- C: ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers will not watch or hold any props for you
- D: ESS, Inc., the Nekocon convention, the Hampton Roads Convention Center or any of the above groups’ staff or volunteers are not responsible for any lost or misplaced props.
Please note that the Costume Policy is subject to change before, during, or after the convention, and changes may be made with or without advance notice or written notification.The Convention Chairman, Directors, Head of Security Staff and their Captains and Lieutenants as well as the Hampton Roads Convention Center Staff (As directed through NekoCon staff) have the right to reject any costume for any reason. All decisions in this are final.