1) The NekoCon convention and ESSI, does not condone the sale of any merchandise that violates United States copyright laws, nor the rights of the Byrne International Copyright Treaty. Items such as non-commercial VHS (fansubs), DVDs, LDs, CDs, models, posters, trading cards, T-shirts and toys are protected under both the Byrne International Copyright Treaty, and by paragraph code 17, sections 605 and 606 of the U.S. International Trade Laws.
For more information on issues of Japanese copyrights, we recommend that you contact Mr. Kihara at the Japanese Institute of Intellectual Property in Washington, DC.
Mr. Kihara, Japanese Institute of Intellectual Property
Tel: (202) 833-8565
Fax: (202) 833-8563
2) Any merchandise that can be considered illegitimate in the best judgment by the Exhibitor Co-Coordinator, our attorney or any of the senior staff of the convention, or which has been brought to our attention by any industry representatives, must be removed from the Exhibitors Hall upon request. Any exhibitor that persists in the sales of said merchandise after being told to remove it, will be removed from the Exhibitors Hall, and ejected from the convention without a refund. Consider this notice your only warning.
3) At anytime you may be asked to produce a Bill of Sale, or Import Papers showing the item(s) came from Japan, and are for business and not for personal use. The item(s) must have a copyright notice somewhere on the packaging. This includes but is not limited to: (a) a Japanese tax sticker, (b) a date of manufacture, (c) the place of manufacture (i.e. 2014, Made in Japan, etc.), (d) information as to who the owning studio is (i.e. Bandai, Sony, Funimation, Discotek Media, Sentai Filmworks,Crunchyroll, Media Blasters, Viz Media, etc.), and/or (e) not be a known counterfeit item.
4) Due to the controversy over the legitimacy of certain items, the products from the following companies are fully banned from the dealer’s room. These companies are, SonMay Records (aka SM Records) CDs, EverAnime International CDs, HoSan CDs, Alion CDs, VCD’s, Hook-Ups T-shirts, and Korean based Academy Models line of Gundam and other amine related kits. This also includes all region Hong Kong, Taiwanese or Korean DVDs, live-action or anime; any posters, idol cards, etc., which read “Kodak,” “Fuji,” etc. on the back.
5) Booths MUST be staffed prior to opening the hall each day. We will not delay the hall opening for any exhibitor not at their booths by opening time. NekoCon and the Hampton Roads Convention Center are not responsible or liable for any losses due to unmanned booths.
6) Children must abide by the following rules. a) Children cannot rove around the Exhibitors Hall or Convention Center handing out flyers or selling merchandise. b) Children may not play in the open areas of the Exhibitors Hall. c) Children may attend events at the convention or remain at your booth. d) Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
7) NekoCon and ESSI and the Hampton Roads Convention Center prohibit the consumption and use of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances on the inside or grounds of the convention center.
8) Anyone removed from the convention for any reason will not be issued a refund.
The regulations we enforce are for the protection of the anime companies, the fans in attendance, and our exhibitors. We have worked long and hard to make an event that reflects the respect we have for an industry that has brought us decades of enjoyment, and we will show our support to the fullest. We are taking stronger measures every year in regards to the legitimacy of the merchandise sold in our Exhibitors Hall.
NekoCon is a private convention and reserves the right to make policy decisions that are different than policies at other conventions. It is your responsibility to review our policies and determine if you are comfortable doing business with us. We will gladly accept your feedback on our policies, but make no guarantees that we will change our policies in your favor.
PLEASE NOTE: these policies and guidelines are subject to change without prior written notice.